Benefits to overseeding your lawn
Many older lawns were established with common type turf grasses not suited for the needs of today's homeowner. They are often more disease and insect-prone, requiring more fertilizer and water.
Overseeding newer turfgrass varieties into an older lawn can help it better withstand insects, disease, drought, shady conditions and heavy traffic. The investment in overseeding pays off by reducing the amount of Aeration can help relieve soil compaction, allowing your grass to grow deeper roots and make better use of water and fertilizer. It’s a simple process that pulls cores of soil from the lawn, allowing the soil to “relax” and spread out. fertilizer, water, and pesticides required. Most importantly, a renovated lawn stays greener and looks thicker and healthier!
Correctable problems include:
- Poor soil condition
- Improper drainage
- Soil compaction
- Insufficient water
- Poor fertility
- Poor air circulation
- Insufficient sunlight
- Excess thatch
- Grass varieties not suitable for the area
- General neglect
What to do after overseeding?
Depending on conditions and type of seed, new grass seed will begin to emerge in 5-7 days after seeding when moisture and soil temperatures are adequate. An overseeded lawn can be fully established in eight weeks or less.
Proper watering is critical to successful overseeding. The following is a recommended watering program.
- Immediately after overseeding: Water heavily to wash grass seeds into slits.
- Until grass seeds germinate (first 10-14 days): Water lightly on a daily basis, soaking first one inch of soil.
- After germination: Water less frequently, but allow for deeper soaking and penetration into soil. This encourages deeper root growth.
- After grass becomes established: Water at the recommended level for the type of grass planted.
The key is care and patience. Proper overseeding will produce a healthier, better-looking lawn that responds better to mowing, fertilizing and watering. An added benefit is increased property value!
Give us a call today to get scheduled for lawn seeding.